2020 Ministry Stories & Global Outreach
Even amidst the challeges of 2020, God showed His presence, goodness, and provision in so many ways. Not only did God provide for ministry to continue, but ministry actually expanded in many ways. All of you made that expansion possible through joining God in His work through your prayers, volunteering, and generosity. Thank you for showing that “the church” is not restricted to a building — it’s each of us living out the Gospel of Jesus, no matter our circumstances.
A few 2020 ministry highlights:
- 84 people were cared for by CTR-trained volunteer Lay Counselors, who found creative ways to meet while adhering to Covid restrictions.
- Despite Covid, 34 people went through the membership class and made a membership commitment to Christ The Rock in 2020.
- We expanded ministry by launching the much-needed Fresh Hope support group in September 2020. Fresh Hope is a biblically-based support group for those who struggle with mental health issues, and for family or friends who care about them.
- Starting Point, DivorceCare and other groups met online for the first time in our history.
- Our Children’s Ministry families participated in a special Thanksgiving Blessing project for the Appleton Police Department. We purchased 165 paracord bracelets with the inscription “Be Courageous” on them and then attached cards made by CTR children. It was so fun to see the kids’ drawings and the encouraging words that they wrote. What a great way to support those who support and serve our community!
- Our Children’s Ministry and Student Ministry sponsored 83 children through Project Angel Tree this Christmas! This program serves local kids whose parents are incarcerated with a Christmas gift, encouragement and connection. Our original goal was to sponsor 50 children . . . but more and more families kept asking to sponsor, and Project Angel Tree connected us with more local children in need. Thank you!
- In partnership with Calumet County, the Wisconsin National Guard and ThedaCare, our parking lot was a drive-through Covid testing site in October, November, and December and beyond.
India feeding program: India’s abrupt lockdown left many of its most vulnerable people without transportation, without work, and without food. Through our partnership with Impact International, CTR helped provide 3,150 meals to vulnerable children, adults and widows. The portion was generous enough that many ate half for lunch and the other half for dinner.
Peru internet access: Because of Covid, transportation on Peru’s Ucayali River was shut down. RiverWind, our ministry partner, was cut off from the indigenous pastors and church planters they train and support. Your generosity allowed CTR to provide a grant for the technology that allowed them to continue ministry and keep training and raising up indigenous pastors.
North America: In October, a team from CTR traveled to Clarkston, Georgia to serve with Envision Atlanta. They helped clean up an apartment complex that will be home to refugees from around the world. Due to Covid, this was our only short-term trip in 2020 – and it was also our first time working with Envision Atlanta.
None of this would be possible without God providing through your generosity. We are so grateful for each person who is invested in sharing the Gospel, and follows through with serving and giving to make that happen. You are the hands and feet of Christ to the Fox Valley and far beyond.
For stories of local impact in 2020, read our previous blog post.